Come Christmas morning there will be many packages under most of our trees—of many shapes and sizes; some elaborate, some simple. I would imagine many of us (well at least kids) would pick the biggest and prettiest boxes.
Us humans have a tendency to be misled and enticed by external appearances. We inherited that from Eve who was beguiled by Satan with the eye-appealing forbidden fruit.
The world is like that, wrapped up in its fancy glittery boxes.
It offers us success, wealth, fame, and fulfillment. But instead of satisfaction, there is disappointment and emptiness. It robs us of good relationships, hope, true significance, and love. Instead of giving us fulfillment, it takes our soul.
And what do you benefit if you gain the whole world but lose your own soul? (Mat 16:26)
But some of us know there is a God, so we look for a package with God in it. Like this one:
Just believe in Jesus. Expect He’ll meet all of your longings by proclaiming His Name, claiming His promises, without remaining in Him and what His Name stands for (=obeying Him).
The one all wrapped up in love, peace, and no judgment.
Where we can do whatever we want, then confess it. After all, He is a God of mercy!
But then we remember that package forced on us as kids by parents or the church.
Consisting of a list of do’s and don’ts. Just be make sure your good outweighs your bad in the end so God will let you into heaven.
Some other variation ornamented with false concepts about the real God.
However, all of these are empty of true abundant life—both here and forever.
But, glory alleluia, there’s one more left!
If you look inside, you’ll surprisingly find a:
- Clean slate—forgiveness for all your sins.
- Watch without numbers that runs forever.
- Basket of love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control—fruit of the Spirit, and lots of the Bread of Life.
- Tunic—as a reminder that all your true needs will be met.
- Flashlight—wisdom & direction from God’s Word (which you have to turn on by reading 🙂 ).
- Bed—peaceful sleep and rest for your soul.
- Candy cane with red stripes to remind you of your Savior’s blood that was spilled for that sweet fellowship with Him.
- Gushing spring with an endless supply of truly satiating Living water.
- Dynamite—divine power to live the way He desires.
- Gold chest containing many more treasures awaiting discovery.
Jesus, God Himself, became a man on Christmas morning. He came with no frills, no glitter, no fanfare.
There was nothing beautiful or majestic about his appearance,
nothing to attract us to him. (Is 53:2)
With Him, through His perfect life, sacrificial death, and glorious resurrection He brought the most beautiful gift of all—Himself for all eternity.
Which package will you choose?
Holy Bible, New Living Translation, copyright © 1996, 2004, 2007, 2013, 2015 by Tyndale House Foundation. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.